To be instrumental in improving our city’s appearance through landscaping, flower beds, and physical improvements in our park network, and to foster beautification in our business and residential community.
Members & Meeting Dates
Members are appointed by the mayor and City Council members and serve three-year terms. The Beautification Commission has a membership of at least nine people.
Council Liaison: Council Member John Caron
Chair: Lil Claycomb
Secretary: John Lange
Treasurer: Diana Lince
Members: Jim Culberson, Chris DenBass, Michele Hayden, Karen Hefferan, Joe Kosiara, John Lange, Eileen Miskiewicz, Maryann Motyka, Denise Pecherski, Lynn Brown (Alternate)
Meetings are held on the second Wednesday of each month at 7:00 p.m. in the Jefferson Conference Room (Unless Specified) in City Hall located at 27600 Jefferson, south of 11 Mile Road. There is no meeting in December.
Check the Beautification Commission calendar for up-to-date information on meeting days/times
Beautification Home & Business Award Winners
Each year the Beautification Commission selects business and residential properties that exemplify efforts of those who live and work in the city toward enhancing the overall visual appearance of the property and its curb appeal.
2016 Beautification Home & Business Award Winners
2017 Beautification Home & Business Award Winners
2018 Beautification Home & Business Award Winners
2019 Beautification Home & Business Award Winners
2019 Ten-Year Business Beautification Award Winners
2020 Beautification Home & Business Award Winners
2021 Beautification Home & Business Award Winners
Selection Criteria for Beautification Award Recipients
- Emphasis on year-round visual appeal and environmental considerations
- General upkeep and a well-maintained property
- Landscape of front and rear yards
- Earth-friendly gardening - no invasive plants such as Purple Loosestrife
- No recreational vehicles, trailers, sport vehicles stored in driveway and rear yard
- Neighbor-friendly fencing
- Updates such as additions, patios, windows, siding, and other architectural enhancements
- Appropriateness to neighborhood
- Curb appeal
- No current city violations
Selection will be based on the overall outside appearance of the structure and the landscaping grounds of the property as seen from the street. For more information on the Beautification Awards, call Lillian Claycomb at 586-773-0736.