Handgun Purchase & CPL Information

Handgun Purchase Permits

Michigan law requires that persons obtain a handgun purchase permit before any transfer of a handgun. The law allows only the registered owner of a handgun to have that gun in their possession. For any PRIVATE transfer of ownership, no matter whether a sale for money, trade or even as a gift, the person receiving the handgun must obtain a purchase permit from their local police agency unless they have a CCW license that was issued after 7-01-2002. The private pistol transfer must then be registered with the police department of the new owner. If the sale or transfer is through a licensed dealer, the dealer will handle all the background and registration paperwork. There is no need to contact your local police department. 

The person who intends to obtain a handgun must first apply in OSS. There is an application that must be completed and signed by the intended purchaser. After the application is completed and signed, personnel in OSS are required to perform a complete criminal background investigation. No purchase permit can be issued to anyone that has been convicted of a felony. Also, federal law prohibits a person convicted of domestic assault within the last 8 years from obtaining or possessing a handgun. In cases where there is an assault on a person's record, they may be required to obtain copies of the original report and the court disposition.

Concealed Pistol License

Licenses to carry a concealed weapon are issued by the Macomb County Gun Board.

C.P.L. Applications are not processed by the St. Clair Shores Police Department. However, applications are available in the lobby of the Police Department.

You may also download an application from the State Police website.