Garbage, Recycling & Yard Waste
GFL Environmental is responsible for:
- Residential trash
- Yard waste pickup.
Customer service hours and Phone
- 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. on weekdays.
- All service calls are directed to GFL at the following number 586-806-8944.
- Request or report missed pickup
- Place garbage/recycling/yard waste out:
- After 6 PM the night before
- Before 7 AM the day of
- Yard waste can be placed at the curb for collection between April 1st and the second Friday in December.
- GFL supplies a complimentary 64-gallon recycle container to residents upon request. Call GFL at 586-806-8944 to place your order.
- The city sells 64- and 96-gallon garbage carts for residents to purchase. Garbage carts can be ordered online at www.scsmi.net/waste with paypal or in-person at City Hall located at 27600 Jefferson Circle Dr., Monday-Friday from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Garbage cart deliveries can take 4 to 6 weeks.
- Use of city-issued garbage or recycling cart is voluntary. If you purchase your own cart, max container size is 32 gallons with a 60-pound limit. Bags should not weigh more than 40 pounds. This also applies to yard waste containers.
- The maximum container size is 32 gallons with a 60-pound limit. Bags should not weigh more than 40 pounds. This also applies to yard waste containers and bags.
- The City sells 64 and 96-gallon garbage carts for residents to purchase.
- Garbage cart deliveries take 4 to 6 weeks.
- Use of City issued garbage or recycling cart is voluntary.
- Garbage carts can be ordered and paid for at City Hall, 27600 Jefferson Circle Dr. City Hall is open Monday through Friday 8 am to 4:30 pm
- GFL will deliver a 64-gallon recycling cart at no charge to residents. Call GFL at 586-806-8944 to place your order.
- Large household furnishings or appliances will be collected at curbside. Including, but not limited to, washers, dryers, water heaters, stoves, furnaces, microwaves, garbage disposals, trash compactors, heat pumps, water softeners.
- Any appliance that contains Freon gas, such as refrigerators, freezers (for safety, remove all doors), and air conditioners, may be set out at the curb on your scheduled day. GFL is responsible to have the Freon removed by a licensed technician at no cost to the resident.
Yard waste can be placed at the curb for collection between April 1st and the second Friday in December.
Yard waste is:
- Grass clippings
- Garden debris
- Tree fruit
- Shrubbery or tree trimmings
This does NOT include wood chips or mulch, sod, dirt, hay, animal feces, tree stumps or root balls, gravel or stones.
Yard waste must be placed in lawn bags or in a 32-gallon container clearly marked "Yard Waste" or "Compost."
Containers must have water-tight lids and handles—secure lids to containers with bungee cords to prevent them from being separated. Containers cannot exceed 60 pounds when filled.
Paper lawn bags are preferred to prevent wet compost from sticking to the bottom of containers. Never use plastic bags for yard waste.
Brush must be cut to 4 feet or less in length. Branches must be 4 inches or less in diameter. Brush can be tied into 60-pound or less bundles with heavy twine or rope. It can also be placed in lawn bags or compost containers for pickup.
Large Brush Disposal Program
Large Brush Disposal is available upon request all year long.
Brush over 4 feet in length but 4 inches or less in diameter can be placed at the curb for pickup on your scheduled collection day. Cut ends are preferred to face towards the street, however, do not allow brush to extend over the sidewalk or curb.
Stack to a max height of 4 feet and 5-15 feet long.
All branches with thorns MUST be placed into lawn bags or containers.
You must call GFL at 586-806-8944 by 4 p.m. the day prior to your regular pickup day (or on Friday if your pickup day is Monday).
Pick-up will be delayed by one day if the holiday falls during the week. If the holiday falls on a Saturday or Sunday, there is no delay in pick-up.
Please check the monthly calendar to verify pick-up dates.
- New Year's Day (January)
- Memorial Day (May)
- Independence Day (July)
- Labor Day (September)
- Thanksgiving Day (November)
- Christmas Day (December)
Motor oil and cooking oil can be dropped off anytime at the DPW complex at 19700 Pleasant. Please put containers on the cart under the sign in front of the building.